The Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF ®) credential is for CPAs who specialize in forensic accounting. The CFF credential is granted exclusively to CPAs who demonstrate considerable expertise in forensic accounting through their knowledge, skills and experience. In order to obtain the credential, you must pass the CFF Exam.
Steps to the Exam
- Exam Type — The CFF Exam is a computer-based, non-disclosed exam. This means the questions and answers are not published nor are you permitted to remove any exam materials from the testing site.
- Delivery Method — You may take the exam in-person at one of 300 locations nationwide, or online in a remote-proctored environment.
- Grading — Each exam is carefully graded by our team of psychometricians to ensure that the questions are statistically valid.
- Timing — The exam consists of two parts taking two hours each.
- Types of Questions:
- Multiple-choice questions — A discrete multiple-choice question consists of a stem that includes factual data and provides multiple answer options.
The CFF Exam is now offered year-round, beginning March 1, 2018. You can now take the exam when it is convenient for you.
Volume Pricing — A discount of $60 per exam is available when registering two or more candidates from the same firm for any CFF Exam window. For further details and to submit request to obtain this discount, please email the CFF team.
If interested in taking the exam, register online and pay the required exam fee. Online registration is available to both AICPA and non-AICPA members. Upon registering, you will receive a confirmation of your purchase via email. This confirmation does not serve as the Notification to Schedule email.
You will receive your Notice to Schedule email within two weeks of registration. The voucher code included in the Notice to Schedule email is valid for up to 12 months. Please be sure to save this email as it has important information needed to schedule your exam.
To find a more detailed overview of the scheduling process including rescheduling, cancellations and refunds, download the CFF Credential Exam Registration and Scheduling Terms and Conditions document.
Exam Content Specification Outline
The CFF credential program is built around content areas that encompass professional responsibilities and practice management, fundamental forensic knowledge and specialized forensic knowledge.
The key to passing the exam is a combination of utilizing the body of knowledge referenced in the CSO coupled with applying this body of knowledge by obtaining relevant work experience in forensic accounting.
Accordingly, although it is not a strict requirement, it is our recommendation that candidates choose to sit for the exam only after they have completed the required 1,000 hours of forensic accounting experience. Review the CFF Content Specification Outline.
Exam Preparation Tools
CFF Exam Review Courses:
Core & Specialized Forensic Accounting Certificate Programs
Use these certificate programs as a streamlined pathway to earn your CFF Credential. By completing both certificates, you will have completed the Credential Exam Requirement and satisfied the CPD education requirement. It reduces the 75 CPD credits required by 16 CPD if you do not choose the certificate pathway.
The Core Forensic Accounting Certificate covers the areas essential to the planning, performance and reporting for all forensic accounting engagements including evidence identification and gathering, discovery, interview techniques, deposition and testimony, reporting requirements and more.
The Specialized Forensic Accounting Certificate covers unique areas of a forensic engagement including bankruptcy, business/individual/intellectual property damages, mergers and acquisitions, family law, divorce and more.
Fundamentals of Forensic Accounting Certificate Program
This online CPE self-study program consists of 19 required modules that use interactive scenario-based learning, including audio and video animation, to guide you through the concepts. These courses are not intended to be a review course for the exam, but do cover the CFF body of knowledge. Learn more >>
After receiving your (NTS) email, you may schedule your exam. If you plan to take it at a testing center, please schedule early to improve your likelihood of obtaining your desired time and location. The NTS email will provide instructions on how to do so. Below is a snapshot of the process:
- Visit the CFF Exam Scheduling Website.
- Follow the steps to establish a test-taker account. If you have already established a test-taker account for a previous exam, use the username and password that was previously provided. For assistance with your username or password, please contact the AICPA Member Service at 888.777.7077 or email us.
- Upon receipt of email confirmation of your username and password, login to schedule.
- Click on the Schedule Exam link in the task bar at the top of the page.
- Select the appropriate CFF Exam for “onsite proctored” or “online proctored” and click on the Register Now button.
- If taking an onsite proctored exam, select the desired date and time the HOST location is available and proceed to checkout.
- If taking an online proctored exam, select the desired date and time that an online proctor is available and proceed to checkout.
- Enter the voucher code that was provided in the NTS letter at checkout and click submit and done.
- A scheduling confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided.
- It is important to print and/or keep a copy of this confirmation page on file as it includes the Test Authorization Code required for exam admittance.
For more detailed information of the process, download the process >>
At this time, the CFF Exam is only offered in the United States and Canada. There are almost 300 locations nationwide. Find the closest one >>
The Kryterion host location has procedures that must be followed. Please make sure to read their procedures document in full so you can be fully prepared. To find a more detailed overview of the scheduling process including rescheduling, cancellations and refunds, download the terms and conditions.