CPA/PFS Eligibility Requirements
Obtain the CPA License and be a current member of the AICPA
Obtain PFP Education
Attain a Specified Level of PFP Experience
- 2 years of full-time business or teaching experience (or 3,000 hours equivalent) in personal financial planning or;
- For candidates in academia, a qualified credential holder should be a full-time professor and have taught at least 4 accredited college courses with 50% of their material included in the PFP Body of Knowledge.
The experience must be in any of the 12 areas that make up the PFP Body of Knowledge, found in the PFS Credential Handbook. Note that up to 1,000 hours of tax compliance experience can count toward the total experience requirement.
For the Experienced pathway within the seven-year period preceding the date of the CPA/PFS application, you must have:
- 5 years of full-time business experience (or 7,500 hours equivalent) in personal financial planning. The experience must be in any of the 12 areas that make up the PFP Body of Knowledge, found in the PFS Credential Handbook. Note that up to 2,000 hours of tax compliance experience can count toward the total experience requirement.
Pass a PFP Examination
The CPA/PFS candidate must successfully pass a PFP-related exam. Successful completion of the following exams will qualify:
- Personal Financial Specialist (CPA/PFS) - either online or at testing centers
- All 4 of the PFP Certificate exams
- PFS Experienced CPA Assessment
- Certified Financial Planner® (CFP)
- Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)
Download the PFS Credential Handbook for further details.
Back to CPA/PFS Overview >>