Tax and Financial Planning Services
Clients are looking to you
Life changes can be tricky to navigate, but you can offer your clients a roadmap to success. You don’t have to be an expert in every area of their financial lives to serve as their primary point of contact. Whether they’re concerned with funding retirement, selling their business, going through a divorce, or dealing with end of life issues, let them start with you.
The changing landscape is your planning opportunity
CPAs practicing in tax are experts in tax services. And with tax reform making things more complicated, clients will be looking for help navigating the changes. This gives you an opportunity to have important planning discussions with them. Learn how planning strategies are evolving and stay up-to-speed on tax law changes.
As a CPA, you’re perfectly positioned
Maybe you've started providing tax and financial planning services or you’re still thinking about offering these services. Either way, by educating your clients about what you can do for them, you will deepen relationships — leading to improved client retention and more personal and professional fulfillment.
Start with tax and financial planning 101
Tax and financial planning includes five main areas: tax, retirement, estate, risk management and investment planning. Find out how to identify additional service opportunities by walking through Form 1040 line-by-line with this free tax return analysis checklist.
Access resources to support you
How do you nurture client relationships, stay top of mind when opportunities arise and manage a profitable practice? Membership in both the Personal Financial Planning Section and the Tax Section will help you do just that. Get access to a library of technical guides, communication tools, practice management resources and up to 16 hours of free CPE.
Dive in with training courses
The personal financial planning boot camp is designed to take you step-by-step through each core planning area using real-life scenarios. If you prefer to learn one topic at a time — and at your leisure — check out these planning certificates, arranged by topic area.
Check out your learning options
Planning & tax advisory training courses
This video shares two educational opportunities, the financial planning certificates and the Personal Financial Planning Boot Camp, for you to consider.More on AICPA TV
A roadmap to get you started
No matter where you are on your journey, the path is yours to take. And the Roadmap to developing a tax & financial planning business will guide you along the way.
Demonstrate your expertise
As a CPA, you're recognized as a trusted adviser with the skills and ethics necessary to serve clients effectively. Adding the PFS credential lets clients know you are the primary point of contact for their financial needs. CPA+PFS is beyond powerful.
Communicate your value
When your clients experience life events that affect their finances, you’ll be the person they come to first for help. Make sure your clients know you can help them by labeling yourself as a CPA financial planner. Let them know you offer these services. If you don’t offer these services, tell them you’ll work with a team of professionals on their behalf.
The AICPA offers a wealth of tax and financial planning resources to help you nurture client relationships, stay top of mind when opportunities arise and manage a successful practice.
Get started today with:
Tools to help you work with clients
- Personal Finance Scorecard – Jump-start client and prospect conversations and learn about their financial concerns.
- Analysis of a Tax Return Checklist – Review a 1040 using this checklist to identify planning opportunities and client needs.
- More Services. More Clients. Better Relationships Guide – Get tips on how to develop deeper client relationships and reinforce your role as their most trusted adviser
- Proactive Planning Toolkit – Ensure your tax and financial planning advice takes into consideration the latest rules and regulations.
- Tax Planner’s Field Guide – Use this handy reference to help guide you year-round with important tax compliance dates and monthly planning ideas
Training and learning opportunities
- CPA/PFS Program, including the PFP certificate pathway and the new experienced track – Demonstrate your knowledge and ability to serve as primary point of contact with the PFS credential.
- Building a Tax and Financial Planning pre-conference workshop at AICPA ENGAGE, June 4-5, 2022 – Take a 2-day deep dive which covers everything you need to know to get your PFP practice started.
- Advanced Personal Financial Planning Conference at AICPA ENGAGE, June 6-9, 2022 – Participate in the highly esteemed, in-person conference which provides top-notch speakers, thought leadership and networking with peers.
Tools to help you transform your business
- Building a Tax and Financial Planning Business podcast series – Series of podcasts featuring a panel of successful practitioners who talk about their financial planning services
- Roadmap to developing a tax & financial planning business – guide to help you establish and grow your practice
- Technology for a Personal Financial Planning Business Toolkit – Set of resources to help you make technology decisions and implement them in your firm
- The CPA’s Guide to Investment Advisory Business Models – In-depth guide explaining the rules on delivering investment advice
- CPA financial planner marketing toolkit – Compilation of client and prospect-facing materials to help you advertise your services and showcase the benefits of working with a CPA financial planner
Membership in both the Personal Financial Planning Section and the Tax Section will help you do just that. Get access to a library of technical guides, communication tools, practice management resources and up to 16 hours of free CPE.